Lož used to be the smallest Slovenian medieval city. A market town, at the time, was granted city rights in 1477 after being plundered and burned down by the Turks. The Lož castle (ruin) (suitably named The Desolate castle by the locals), built in the 12th century and developed several times thereafter, stands on a 698 meter-high hill above Lož. After the last owners had moved to the Snežnik Castle in the 17th century, it started to gradually and infamously fall into ruin.
Public Institute Snežnik organized a cultural event in May 2017 at the castle ruin and a work action there beforehand.
Access: Marked footpath towards the castle ruin is set from the Tourist Information Center in Lož (20 min).